Members of ReAL explore reasoning and argumentation from a variety of disciplinary perspectives. Here, we present some representative publications that suggest the breadth of theoretical, experimental, and model-wise interests of member of the lab. For more publications, please visit the personal websites of members of the lab.
- Collins, P.J. and Krzyzanowska, K. and Hartmann, S. and Wheeler, G. and Hahn, Ulrike (2020) Conditionals and Testimony. Cognitive Psychology 122 (101329), ISSN 0010-0285.
- Pilditch, T.D. and Hahn, Ulrike and Fenton, N. and Lagnado, D.A. (2020)Dependencies in evidential reports: the case for informational advantages. Cognition 204 (104343), ISSN 0010-0277.
- Hahn, Ulrike (2020) Argument quality in Real-World Argumentation. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 24 (5), pp. 363-374. ISSN 1364-6613.
- Hahn, Ulrike and Hansen, J.U. and Olsson, E.J. (2020) Truth tracking performance of social networks: how connectivity and clustering can make groups less competent. Synthese 197, pp. 1511-1541. ISSN 0039-7857.
- Madsen, J.K. and Hahn, Ulrike and Pilditch, T.D. (2020) The impact of partial source dependence on belief and reliability revision. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition ISSN 0278-7393.
- Merdes, C. and von Sydow, M. and Hahn, Ulrike (2020) Formal models of source reliability. Synthese ISSN 0039-7857. (In Press)
- Vorms, Marion and Hahn, Ulrike (2019) In the space of reasonable doubt. Synthese ISSN 0039-7857. (In Press)
- Collins, P.J. and Hahn, Ulrike (2019) We might be wrong, but we think that hedging doesn’t protect your reputation.. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition ISSN 0278-7393.
- Skovgaard-Olsen, N. and Kellen, D. and Hahn, Ulrike and Klauer, K.C. (2019)Norm conflicts and conditionals. Psychological Review 126 (5), pp. 611-633. ISSN 0033-295X.
- Skovgaard-Olsen, N. and Collins, Peter J and Krzyżanowska, K. and Hahn, Ulrike and Klauer, K.C. (2018) Cancellation, negation, and rejection. Cognitive Psychology 108, pp. 42-71. ISSN 0010-0285.
- Hahn, Ulrike and von Sydow, M. and Merdes, C. (2018) How communication can make voters choose less well. Topics in Cognitive Science 11 (1), pp. 194-206. ISSN 1756-8765.
- Hahn, Ulrike and Merdes, C. and von Sydow, M. (2018) How good is your evidence and how would you know?. Topics in Cognitive Science 10 (4), pp. 660-678. ISSN 1756-8765.
- Krzyżanowska, K. and Collins, Peter J. and Hahn, Ulrike (2017) Between a conditional’s antecedent and its consequent: discourse coherence vs. probabilistic relevance. Cognition 164, pp. 199-205. ISSN 0010-0277.
- Farmer, G.D. and Warren, P.A. and Hahn, Ulrike (2017) Who “Believes” in the Gambler’s Fallacy and why?. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General146 (1), pp. 63-76. ISSN 0096-3445.
- Shah, P. and Harris, A.J.L. and Bird, Geoffrey and Catmur, C. and Hahn, Ulrike (2016) A pessimistic view of optimistic belief updating. Cognitive Psychology 90, pp. 71-127. ISSN 0010-0285.
- Harris, A.J.L. and Hahn, Ulrike and Madsen, Jens K. and Hsu, A.S. (2016)The appeal to expert opinion: quantitative support for a Bayesian network approach. Cognitive Science 40 (6), pp. 1496-1533. ISSN 0364-0213.
- Hahn, Ulrike and Hornikx, J. (2016) A normative framework for argument quality: argumentation schemes with a Bayesian foundation. Synthese 193 (6), pp. 1833-1873. ISSN 0039-7857.
- Hahn, Ulrike and Harris, A.J.L. and Corner, A. (2016) Public reception of climate science: coherence, reliability, and independence. Topics in Cognitive Science 8 (1), pp. 180-195. ISSN 1756-8757.
- Jönsson, M.L. and Hahn, Ulrike and Olsson, E.J. (2015) The kind of group you want to belong to: effects of group structure on group accuracy. Cognition 142, pp. 191-204. ISSN 0010-0277.
- Vance, James and Oaksford, Mike (2021) Explaining the implicit negations effect in conditional inference: experience, probabilities and contrast Sets. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General 150 (2), pp. 354-384. ISSN 0096-3445.
- Oaksford, Mike and Chater, N. (2019) New paradigms in the psychology of reasoning. Annual Review of Psychology 71, pp. 305-330. ISSN 0066-4308.
- Chater, N. and Felin, T. and Funder, D.C. and Gigerenzer, G. and Koenderink, J.J. and Krueger, J.I. and Noble, D. and Nordli, S.A. and Oaksford, Mike and Schwartz, B. and Stanovich, K.E. and Todd, P.M. (2018) Mind, rationality, and cognition: an interdisciplinary debate. Psychonomic Bulletin & Review 25 (2), pp. 793-826. ISSN 1069-9384.
- Karaslaan, H. and Hohenberger, A. and Demir, H. and Hall, S. and Oaksford, Mike (2018) Cross-cultural differences in informal argumentation: norms, inductive biases and evidentiality. Journal of Cognition and Culture 18 (3-4), pp. 358-389. ISSN 1567-7095.
- Hall, Simon and Ali, N. and Chater, N. and Oaksford, Mike (2016)Discounting and augmentation in causal conditional reasoning: causal models or shallow encoding?. PLoS ONE ISSN 1932-6203.
- Oaksford, Mike and Hall, Simon (2016) On the source of human irrationality. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 20 (5), pp. 336-344. ISSN 1364-6613.
- Baratgin, J. and Douven, I. and Evans, J. St.B.T. and Oaksford, Mike and Over, D. and Politzer, G. (2015) The new paradigm and mental models. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 19 (10), pp. 547-548. ISSN 1364-6613.
- Bhatai, J.S. and Oaksford, Mike (2015) Discounting testimony with the argument ad hominem and a Bayesian congruent prior model. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition 41 (5), pp. 1548-1559. ISSN 0278-7393.
- Oaksford, Mike (2015) Imaging deductive reasoning and the new paradigm. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 9, ISSN 1662-5161.
Marko Tešic & Ulrike Hahn (forthcoming). Explanation in AI systems. In S. Muggleton & N. Chater (Eds.), Human-Like Machine Intelligence. Clarendon Press. Oxford, UK.
Alice Liefgreen & Marko Tešic (forthcoming). Explaining away and the propensity interpretation of probability: the case of unequal priors. In Proceedings of the 3rd European Conference on Argumentation, Groningen 2019.
Marko Tešic, Alice Liefgreen & David Lagnado (2020). The propensity interpretation of probability and diagnostic split in explaining away. Cognitive Psychology, 121.
Marko Tešic & Ulrike Hahn (2019). Sequential diagnostic reasoning with independent causes. In A.K. Goel, C.M. Seifert, & C. Freksa (Eds.), Proceedings of the 41st Annual Conference of the Cognitive ScienceSociety (pp. 2947–2953). Montreal, QB: Cognitive Science Society.
Alice Liefgreen, Marko Tešic, & David Lagnado (2018). Explaining away: Significance of priors, diagnostic reasoning, and structural complexity. In T. T. Rogers, M. Rau, X. Zhu, & C.W. Kalish (Eds.), Proceedings of the 40th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (pp. 2047–2052). Austin, TX: Cognitive Science Society.
Marko Tešic (2017). Confirmation and the generalized Nagel-Schaffner model of reduction: A Bayesian analysis. Synthese, 196(3), 1097–1129. DOI: 10.1007/s11229-017-1501-1.
Burton, J. W., Cruz, N., & Hahn, U. (2021). Reconsidering evidence of moral contagion in online social networks. Nature Human Behaviour, 1-7.
BURTON, J. W., HAHN, U., ALMAATOUQ, A., & RAHIMIAN, M. A. (2021) Algorithmically Mediating Communication to Enhance Collective Decision-Making in Online Social Networks. In Proceedings, ACM Collective Intelligence Conference 2021.
Burton, J. W., Almaatouq, A., Rahimian, M. A., & Hahn, U. (2021). Rewiring the Wisdom of the Crowd. In Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (Vol. 43, No. 43).
Burton, J. W., Stein, M. K., & Jensen, T. B. (2020). A systematic review of algorithm aversion in augmented decision making. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 33(2), 220-239.
Phillips, K., Hahn, U., & Pilditch, T. D. (2018). Evaluating testimony from multiple witnesses: single cue satisficing or integration?. In Proceedings of the 40th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society.
Nicole Cruz, Saoirse Desai, Stephen Dewitt, Ulrike Hahn, David Lagnado, Alice Liefgreen, Kirsty Phillips, Toby Pilditch & Marko Tešic (2020). Widening access to Bayesian problem solving. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 660.
- Symons, Germaine and Tolmie, A. and Oaksford, Mike (2015) Source reliability in the development of children’s understanding of causal systems. CEUR Workshop Proceedings 1419, pp. 413-418. ISSN 1613-0073.